2019 Orange Crate Derby
The Bristol Fourth of July Committee’s 70th Annual Orange Crate Derby will be held on Sunday, June 9, 2019 (rain date: June 16, 2019) on Bayview Avenue. The Derby check-in starts at 1:00 p.m., practice runs begin at 2:15 p.m. and with the races immediately following.
There will be one practice run allowed per entry. The race will be double elimination. Drivers should be between the ages of 7 and 14, be a resident of Bristol, RI, and all drivers are required to wear a helmet with chin strap, elbow pads, gloves. Optional safety gear includes goggles, mouth guard, safety belt.
All cars will be required to pass a safety inspection to determine compliance with the above requirements, 90 minutes prior to the start of the race:
- No wheel changes or oiling of bearings. No modification of car after inspection.
- All servicing will be done in a designated area supervised by Committee members.
- During the race, drivers must remain in control of their vehicles at all times and must remain in their assigned lanes.
- The derby will be raced under the rule of Double Elimination.
- Cars which do not meet all of the above requirements will be disqualified.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Maximum Overall Length: 78 inches.
- Maximum Overall Width: 36 inches.
- Maximum Overall Weight: No added weights.
- Wheel Type: Sleeve bushing or non-high tech sealed ball bearing (No needle bearing) Grease only, no oil.14 inches max diameter.
- Brakes: Foot operated front and rear wheel pressure brake. ( NO DRAG BRAKES).
- Roll Bar: Metal pipe 1/2″ – 3/4″ ID or square tubing 1″OD (no wood or PVC), higher than the driver with helmet, sitting upright.
- Frame: Primarily wood, 2″ maximum thickness plus enough metal to ensure safety. No protruding metal except roll bar.
- Body: No metal body (Wood, fiberglass etc. are OK).